[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Tue Apr 5 13:47:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 09:53 -0700, David Brian Chait wrote:
> All,
>         As much as I hate to ask, how is this project coming along? We
> are approaching the 4 month post-release point…
>
> -David

This reply is in no way directed at you personally David, I just picked
your message to reply to :)

Such a simple statement, and yet so much list traffic!! I agree people
should stop asking about when 6 will be ready. Also, stop asking about
5.6 and 4.9? *please correct my post if I'm wrong*

So many people interested in this 'release' date of an essentially free
product. I think FOSS is unique in this aspect that it is an actual
working product with  a release date, and no actual income from the
product. If I'm getting something free, I'm not going to pressure the
dude who's giving it to me, because at any time, he can tell me to take
a running jump!

If CentOS was a film, then hold the developers to account. If it is a
console game, the same. But it is NOT. It is FOSS. Just be happy you
have a pretty new version in your hands as it is.

If that still isn't good enough for you, then

"Use the Source .... Duke"

Grab LFS ebook as a jump of point, and get cracking, or pay RHEL for a
frikkin' subscription and get all the latest binaries you want.

Personally I see all this chatter as people who wish to help with the
"reverse engineer " process that out very generous devs are currently
struggling through!

Your email address is in the public domain, we can contact you with
tasks from the TODO list, and then once you've started to give your free
time to that, maybe, just maybe you'll have earned the right to say ...

"When is it going to be ready!" Until then, be happy with the free
goodness that is CentOS.

By the way, there is nothing stopping you compiling the latest and
greatest code into the apps you need. After all, the skills that the
devs are using - should every good SysAdmin and Linux Head be able to at
least do something similar? At the end of the day as the devs of this,
and many other FOSS projects say, "It'll be ready when it's frikkin'
ready!" hehe!

And my final point *sorry, I had a liquid lunch, and feeling quite
passionate about my favourite OS*

"What the hell is so special about CentOS 6?"

The packages that are contained within are available to everyone...
already. Whatever feature you could possibly ask for, you can go an get
yourself.
If you are the type of person that likes bleeding edge on your server,
then maybe CentOS is not for you. Fedora, and Ubuntu may suit you
better.

--
Mister IT Guru
Blog    http://solosysad.blogspot.com/