[CentOS] OFFTOPIC :: IB hardware choice

Peter Kjellström

cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Apr 6 16:04:56 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, March 23, 2011 03:02:16 pm Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> Hi! I would need an advice from those that use IB (as admins :) )
> i have a choice between :
> 1. Mellanox InfiniHost® III Lx HCA card, single-port CX4, DDR, PCIe
> x8, mem-free, tall bracket, RoHS R5
>
> 2. QLogic Single Port 20 Gb InfiniBand to x16 PCI Express Adapter
> (Single Pack)

First, both of the above HCAs are old, I'd recommend going with either a
Mellanox Connectx(-2) or Qlogics current 73xx.

Secondly, it's hard to recommend anything if you don't tell us what you're
going to use them for. Does "parallel cluster" mean MPI?

Some random notes:
 * the InfinihostIII-lx is a cheap well working (although old) HCA
 * I'm guessing the Qlogic you had in mind was the QLE7280? if so:
  - 16x PCI-e does not fit everywhere

/Peter

--
-= Peter Kjellström