[CentOS] How to set the hostname alias in DNS server

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Apr 7 01:54:33 UTC 2011

On 04/06/11 6:43 PM, sync wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com
> <mailto:lesmikesell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/6/11 8:18 PM, sync wrote:
>     > Hi ,all:
>     >
>     > There has a problem which confused me for a long time . The
>     problem is the
>     > following:
>     >
>     > Would I can set the hostname alias in DNS server?
>     >
>     > That's to say,  for example , if  my hostname is called server,
>      that it's ip
>     > address is 127.0.0.1
>     > and I want to alias another name called aaa
>
>     First, 127.0.0.1 is a special case that always refers to the same
>     host where the
>     connection originates, so you can't really use that from another
>     machine
>     regardless of how you resolve the name.
>
>     > Gernerally, I can edit the /etc/hosts file to modify it, but the
>     another
>     > computer did not recognise it.
>     > How could I do it ?
>
>     That is up to your DNS server type.  If it is BIND/named you'll
>     have a zone file
>     for each domain it is serving with an 'A' record entry for a name
>     and IP, and
>     you would add CNAME entries for aliases or additional names.
>

> Like this ?
>
> Add the following line in localdomain zone file :

localdomain should ONLY have `localhost` as 127.0.0.1

'server' should be a name in another domain, and it shoudl have your
host's actual IP(s).

> "
> server IN  A      127.0.0.1
> aaa   IN CNAME  server "
>
> then reload the named service .

when you modify a zonefile, you need to increment the serial field on
the SOA record.

I recommend the O'Reilly book "DNS/BIND" be read thoroughly and all
concepts fully understood before messing with DNS, especially on a zone
authoritative server.