[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Apr 7 12:47:46 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> If anyone can suggest a simpler way of installing CentOS
>> on a machine without a CD drive I should be interested to hear.
>>

> I thought I did that a long time ago.  Put the small boot.img file that is
> in the /images on the CD or DVD isos on a USB drive (you can use a
> loopback mount to get it if you can't find a place to download it
> separately), boot from it, pick nfs as the install method, and point it to
> the directory containing the CD
> iso images that you have under an NFS export on another box.

Sorry, Les.
I did read your suggestion, and it was indeed on my list of options,
if running Network Installation from the Live USB stick didn't work.
And I have noted it for CentOS-6, since apparently
Network Installation from CentOS Live CD will no longer be available.
(Why not, as a matter of interest?)

But when I said "simple" I really meant
"following official methods and instructions given by Them,
the CentOS powers-that-be".

I assume that the lack of a CD drive on the HP micro-server
is a sign of things to come,
so I would hope there would be an official method of installing CentOS
on such a machine.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net