[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Thu Apr 7 15:42:23 UTC 2011

On 7.4.2011 17:23, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
>> On 7.4.2011 16:58, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> While SL and other distributions are perfectly fine for almost all
>>> uses, there's a certain irony in the fact the single advantage of
>>> CentOS is the ease of converting from it to a paid/supported RHEL
>>> installation, and the RH changes that make the rebuild difficult are
>>> driving people away.
>>
>> This sounds as if RH is responsible for not yet released CentOS 6 ?
>> What did I miss ? What changes do you talking about ?
>
> AIUI: In previous releases, RH distributed source + patches.  Starting
> 6.0 RH releases patched source.  This makes backing out a patch, or
> backporting patches from future development in Fedora (e.g.) far more
> nightmarish than before.

I dont buy this argument.

CentOS is _rebuilding_ . Does not matter how the source is represented
in my understanding.

Anyway, I found an article where Russ Herold is quoted about the matter

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

May I quote:

"We haven't at all restricted CentOS's ability to grab source code and
recompile it and clean-out trademarks and package it. It's just some of
the knowledge of the insides that we're hiding," he explains. One
longtime CentOS developer agrees.

"I'll not lose sleep on the matter," CentOS co-founder Russ Herold tells
The Reg.

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb