[CentOS] Can anyone suggest a SCSI 3 card in either PCI-X or PCI-E x 4 for a Dell Poweredge 2900?

Kevin Thorpe kevin.thorpe at pibenchmark.com
Thu Apr 7 17:52:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/11 10:23 AM, Kevin Thorpe wrote:
>> The only PCI-X card I have is an old ICP Vortex RAID controller and
>> the Dell hangs with that installed (BIOS is disabled).
>>
>> It's only for a tape drive so performance isn't really an issue.
>
> parallel scsi is becoming somewhat archaic, and probably getting harder
> to find, but I've always liked the LSI Logic scsi cards.
>
> for PCI-X, that would be a LSI-U320, and for PCI-E X4, a LSU20320IE
> (both those have internal and external and external connectors on the
> same U320 SCSI channel)

Thanks. I'd seen the supported hardware list but I already know the Vortex
works just fine under linux and has for ages. Shame the Dell doesn't boot
with it in.

As for the archaic bit this is a brand new LTO 3 drive so it's not something
from a rummage sale. I'd have had a SATA one if it was available.