[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Thu Apr 7 18:05:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Tom H wrote:

> This is the kind of answer that CentOS as a project
> shouldn't allow (KB's recent use-something-else email is
> another example) because it makes the developers look like
> rank amateurs.

It is _so_ easy to tell others what they should or should not
do.  Easier still for a bystander to criticize to jeer and
mock from the sidelines

Johnny has told people how to rebuild; I have told people how
to do so; and KB has done so.  Over and over and over again.
Ditto how to participate.  'Spoonfeeding answers' has been
demonstrated to be a no-win proposition for this project -- it
killed the value of the main IRC channel in short order when
that 'nicer' approach was adopted. Check the wiki for further
thoughts on the topic.  The tome of this list has driven
several CentOS team members away from participating here
regularly

As to kernel (and other package) build issues on a CentOS 6, I
am sure I've mentioned here it is just not an issue ...
continuing a 'centosplus' patched kernel 'just like before'
may be trickier, but I am sure if enough folks are interested
in scratching that itch, it will be solved

The Anaconda changes are nastier, as anaconda has grown wayyy
too ornate, and an installer is a pretty necessary part of a
distribution.  Chopping out parts comes to mind

http://www.mikelockett.com/stories.php?action=view&id=12

The QA folks get (and seemingly enjoyed during the 5.6
stabilization) indigestion from some early batches of the
bread, and work to help the project release only 'production
ready' bread

Was the little red hen wrong to eat first?

The pig, the dog and the cat were lucky that digital goods are
infinitely identically replicable, and that the hen had a
mirror network that Ralph and Tru take the lead in maintaining

The CentOS hens have grown a hard set of feathers, as a
result

In drafting this, I considered also building analogies on:
 	http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/4758.html

and one on this quote from a well-known morality play although
it is harder to construct in a 'friendly' fashion:
 	I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain
 	myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket
 	of the very freedom that I provide and then questions
 	the manner in which I provide it.

 	I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went
 	on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon
 	and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what
 	you think you're entitled to!

But then, friendly trolls are an oxymoron, right?  ;)

-- Russ herrold