[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:33:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Tom H wrote:
>
>> This is the kind of answer that CentOS as a project
>> shouldn't allow (KB's recent use-something-else email is
>> another example) because it makes the developers look like
>> rank amateurs.
>
> It is _so_ easy to tell others what they should or should not
> do.  Easier still for a bystander to criticize to jeer and
> mock from the sidelines

It's not a question of ease, it's a question of professionalism and
image. The IT manager of a company where I've installed some CentOS
boxes asked me about doing new installs and upgrades given that RHEL
6's out. I told him that CentOS 6 hadn't been published yet. He did
some googling, read some centos and centos-devel threads and emailed
me that "the developers are f-ing jerks."

It's the second time that I point out that the CentOS communication
policy (if you there is one) is completely unprofessional. You can let
off steam by saying "we're volunteers, so we can tell you to use
another distro if you're unhappy" but you do yourselves more harm than
good.