[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:48:24 UTC 2011

On 4/8/11 5:28 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> It should go to the raw disk device, not a partition and you shouldn't
>> need to
>> format first.
>
> The reason I re-formatted it was that fdisk said
> there was no valid partition table after dd-ing bootdisk.img onto /dev/sdb .

I thought small usb devices generally didn't have a partition table and just
have one filesystem on the raw device.  But I don't have a lot of experience
with them.  In any case the img file should have whatever needs to be there.

>> I guess you could
>> try grabbing a different copy from a mirror site like:
>> http://centos.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/centos/5.5/os/i386/images/
>
> I'll try again, now that I'm sure what you mean.

That was just in case your source copy had a problem.

> Incidentally, I also tried
>    livecd-iso-to-disk boot.iso /dev/sdb1
> but on re-booting there was just a ";" on my laptop screen.
> (The BIOS was set to use the USB stick,
> and in fact started fine with CentOS Live USB and Fedora Live USB.)

There's probably some clever way you could use your live USB that works to
install a copy of the boot.iso files on a partition on the hard disk and make
grub boot it, but the usb img file is supposed to work.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com