[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:22:13 UTC 2011

On 4/8/2011 7:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> Yes, my memory isn't that great, but it is in the install guide:
>>> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-
> US/ch02s04.html#id3098219
>
> I did try the dd method again, but it didn't work for me.

I still don't understand what is going wrong for you.  I just went
through these motions:
  download the bootdisk.img file from:
http://mirror.highspeedweb.net/CentOS/5.5/os/i386/images/
then
  dd if=bootdisk.img of=/dev/sdb
to a 64M USB key.
(the only quirk here was that my ubuntu laptop automounted the usb key
when I inserted it so I had to 'umount /dev/sdb' first)
  and then 'reboot'
It booted into the installer, I chose nfs, let dhcp set up the network
and filled in the server and path info for the location of the CD iso
(5.5) images, and anaconda started running.  I went far enough to make
sure it saw my hard drive layout and then rebooted since I didn't really
want to re-install.

What is different from the way you did it?  If you mount the USB after
dd'ing the contents to it, you should see a vfat filesystem with some files.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com