[CentOS] Many thanks and a little hint concerning httpd on 5.6

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Fri Apr 8 19:25:00 UTC 2011

fred smith wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 02:35:30PM +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> I am grateful for the CentOS Project. I like it's stability and
>> long-term support.
> I haven't seen a 5.6 release announcement yet. Have I missed it?
I did not use the word announce in my post.
I do not know what you miss or what you not miss.
Also I do not know what your answer is good for.

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
$ uname -a
Linux meduseld.istari.de 2.6.18-238.el5 [...]

The following was posted on the CentOS devel-list on 4.4.2011:
"5.6 is going out to the external mirrors at the moment, I am going to
have torrents ready for later today and then maybe release
announcement sometime tomorrow."

I downloaded the CentOS 5.6 isos from an official mirror recommended
from the official CentOS web site.

> If the announcement in fact hasn't been made, you may be premature in
> doing all your upgrading.... Just because there's something named
> "5.6" on the mirrors doesn't mean it's the FINAL release version, or
> that it's all in place.
For someone who asked if he had missed something, you do know really a
lot of things. Seems to me you are more a man of word and discussion
than a man of action. Go and find CentOS 5.6 yourself.

Primary my mail in this list has had two purposes. First to thank the
CentOS developers for their work, secondly to warn for the httpd
problem. But now I have to add something.

The climate in this list is really rough. So many discussions about the
"unfathomable" development process of CentOS and so many angry people
waiting for the 5.6 release due to them by law of nature.
Why could you guys not go away? The door is open, there are so many
other distributions out there.
The fact that these guys will not go away and that they will fight their
battles in this list, and devel-list, is finally a compliment for the
CentOS project. CentOS is rock solid. The developers do a good and great
job.

regards
Olaf