[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Apr 8 20:10:26 UTC 2011

William Hooper wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
>> Phil Schaffner wrote:
<snip>
> The issues you saw with grub being installed on the USB stick instead of
the HDD are a bigger concern in my book.  I wonder if you you have
better luck installing GRUB on the HDD MBR, booting from the HDD and
using grub to load the kernel and initrd off the USB stick.

What you have to do is tell it no bootloader, then before you reboot at
the end of the install, use <f-2> or whatever to get to another screen,
then... lessee, I forget if it's mounted the install as /mnt/sysimage or
not, but mount your /boot on the h/d, chroot, edit /boot/grub/device map
so it shows HD 0,0, and then grub-install /dev/sdb (or whatever). Then
when you reboot, you should be ok; if not, linux rescue, and do all that.

         mark, who wishes upstream would *offer* the option of other than
                  /dev/sda or track 1 of this drive....