[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Apr 10 12:55:32 UTC 2011

On 04/10/2011 07:36 AM, Ian Murray wrote:

>> The  goal of the centos project is to produce an RPM that is exactly like
>> the  upstream RPM in every way that is legally possible.
>>
>> The checks we do look  at libraries that binaries link to, size of the
>> packages and a list of the  files the RPM installs.
>>
>> We would like for all RPMS to be 100%, some (like  the example above) are
>> not able to be linked against the same  environment.
>>
>> Upstream sometimes uses non released gcc's for compiling or  they
>> sometimes build with non-released kernels or non released glibc's  etc.
>> In those cases, we will do the best we can.
>>
>> We do check these  issues as part of the QA process and we do address
>> each one that we  can.
>
> Thanks for the response. Sounds like you go to significant lengths.
>
> Imagine if you were to take any GPL source code for which you don't own
> copyright and modify it such that that it would only be compile-able using your
> highly modified secret compiler. If you then distributed the executable and the
> useless source without the secret compiler, are we suggesting that is allowable
> under the GPL? A bit of googling suggests it is. :(
>
> While this is an extreme example, it kinda sounds like what you suggest RH do.

Well, I do not think they do it on purpose.

They have a repository that they point at to build packages.  It
contains all the latest released packages.

This build system will likely also have a "Staged" feature, so that as
they build packages, new packages will use the previously compiled (and
yet unreleased) packages to build on.

If they are building updates and they, for example, build 2 versions of
GCC in this process.  Then maybe they only release to the public the 2nd
version of GCC which they built.  So, some of their packages (the ones
between the time the first gcc was compiled and the 2nd gcc was
compiled) would be build using a non released gcc.  The "real world
impact" of this is probably zero ... except that things that this (in
/var/log/messages) will be different:

Linux version 2.6.18-238.1.1.el5 (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat
4.1.2-48)) #1 SMP Wed Jan 26 08:03:38 PST 2011

(If that version of GCC was the first one compiled in my example above,
CentOS will not have it, but it is used to compile an upstream kernel
... note, this example is not a real case issue, just hypothetical to
show how it happens)

It could introduce some incompatibility (they changed the package for
some reason) ... which is why we try to minimize it, but generally the
difference is only cosmetic.