[CentOS] A round of applause!

Mon Apr 11 13:44:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam.net> wrote:
> Just a short note to add my vote for a HUGE round of applause to the
> CentOS team for their untiring efforts in getting releases out the door.
>  I've just upgraded several servers to 5.6 and it all "just works".

<snip>

+1 for the CentOS team!

I just finished upgrading an old legacy PC, from CentOS 5.5 to 5.6 (32
bit). It only has 384 MB of RAM. There were no issues. This is my
daughters box and it is dual boot, with M$ Windows XP SP3.  I have
always found it to be much more stable and responsive, when using
CentOS, than when using M$ Windows.

I used these commands, shown in the Release Notes for CentOS 5.4, to
avoid any possible issues, when upgrading:

yum clean all
yum update glibc\*
yum update yum\* rpm\* python\*
yum clean all
yum update
shutdown -r now

Before beginning to upgrade, I always backup the /boot/grub/grub.conf
file, because she likes it to boot into M$ Windows and I need to edit
that file, after upgrading the Kernel.

OT: I could see the "fastest mirrors" plugin doing it's work, as I did
the 3 "yum update" commands this morning. The Submarine Cable from
Colombia terminates in the Miami, FL, USA area and the servers
"fastest mirrors" selected did change, for the last "yum update"
command.