[CentOS] Got no login screen with the new 5.6 kernel

Tue Apr 12 18:19:48 UTC 2011

Stanley A. Klein wrote on 04/12/2011 01:55 PM:
> I did the 5.6 update yesterday.  When I started the machine today, I did
> not get a login screen -- it was just a blank screen with no cursor or
> anything.  I shut down, restarted and when grub came up selected the
> previous kernel.  The system came up as usual, presented a login screen,
> and is working OK.
>
> There is apparently something buggy related to the new kernel
> (2.6.18-238.5.1.el5).

How far did it get during the boot - to where the GUI login should have
been displayed, or did it die earlier?  Anything enlightening in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log?  Did you try a boot to
runlevel 3 or 1 to debug?

Phil