[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

aurfalien at gmail.com aurfalien at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:01:42 UTC 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 1:54 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 12, 2011 02:51:45 PM John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 04/12/11 6:02 AM, Marian Marinov wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes... but with such RAID10 solution you get only half of the disk
>>> space... so
>>> from 10 2TB drives you get only 10TB instead of 16TB with RAID6.
>>
>> those disks are $100 each.   whats your data worth?
>
> Where can I get an enterprise-class 2TB drive for $100?

This is a good point.

The cheapies are so called green as they spin down often which is not
what you want in a RAID setup.

While I've been able to tweak this in OSX, I haven't yet tried to see
what to do in Linux or Winblowz which I will eventually do as some
turd nugget bought a bunch of these for pro use.

>  Commodity SATA isn't enterprise-class.  SAS is; FC is, SCSI is. A
> 500GB FC drive with EMC firmware new is going to set you back ten
> times that, at least.  What's youre data worth indeed, putting it on
> commodity disk.... :-)
>
>> in this case, the OP is talking about a 40TB array, so thats a TWENTY
>> TWO drive raid.  NOONE I know in the storage business will use larger
>> than a 8 or 10 drive raid set.
>
> EMC allows RAID groups up to 16 drives on Clariion storage.

Yea, as does BlueArc, unsure of the rest but agreed.

- aurf