[CentOS] Expanding RAID 10 array, WAS: 40TB File System Recommendations

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:07:55 UTC 2011

On 4/14/11, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> since this is the centos list, I really didn't want to suggest this, but
> if I was building a 20 or 40TB or whatever storage server, I do believe
> I'd be strongly consider using Solaris, or one of its variants like
> OpenIndiana, with ZFS.
>
> ZFS was engineered from the ground up to scale to zetabytes

I was actually considering this but then came news that Oracle was
killing OpenSolaris and likely to be pushing OCFS so decided I
probably don't want to have something come bite me a year or two down
the road. I'm not sure how things developed since then though.

But based on your recommendation and Christopher Chan's, it would seem
like you guys don't think that long term support/updates would be an
issue for ZFS?