[CentOS] Expanding RAID 10 array, WAS: 40TB File System Recommendations

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Apr 14 14:56:08 UTC 2011

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:07 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 4/14/11, John R Pierce<pierce at hogranch.com>  wrote:
>> since this is the centos list, I really didn't want to suggest this, but
>> if I was building a 20 or 40TB or whatever storage server, I do believe
>> I'd be strongly consider using Solaris, or one of its variants like
>> OpenIndiana, with ZFS.
>>
>> ZFS was engineered from the ground up to scale to zetabytes
>
> I was actually considering this but then came news that Oracle was
> killing OpenSolaris and likely to be pushing OCFS so decided I
> probably don't want to have something come bite me a year or two down
> the road. I'm not sure how things developed since then though.

/me is so happy that the Indiana project surfaced.

> But based on your recommendation and Christopher Chan's, it would seem
> like you guys don't think that long term support/updates would be an
> issue for ZFS?

I have found ZFS to be very much stable on OpenSolaris stable releases
and have not had any issues on OpenIndiana 147 with 9 1TB disks in a
raidz2 pool. There are reports of those who had problems when upgrading
but I however have not - whether difference in env/procedure was
responsible I do not know but those chaps got help on the Openindiana ml
with their zfs problems.

I have used OpenSolaris since 2008.05 stable release without issues.
Long term support/updates is not an absolute certainty at the moment
with regards to OpenIndiana but that is only in the terms of packages
outside the core image since illumos is guaranteed.