[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Apr 15 03:52:08 UTC 2011

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:30 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 4/14/2011 7:32 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>> HAHAHAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>> The XFS codebase is the biggest pile of mess in the Linux kernel and you
>> expect it to be not run into mysterious problems? Remember, XFS was
>> PORTED over to Linux. It is not a 'native' thing to Linux.
>
> Well yeah, but the way I remember it, SGI was using it for real work
> like video editing and storing zillions of files back when Linux was a
> toy with a 2 gig file size limit and linear directory scans as the only
> option.   If you mean that the Linux side had a not-invented-here
> attitude about it and did the port badly you might be right...

No, the XFS guys had to work around the differences between the Linux vm
and IRIX's and that eventually led to what we have today - a big messy
pile of code. It would be no surprise for there to be stuff that get
triggered imho.

I am not saying that XFS itself is bad. Just that the implementation on
Linux was not quite the same quality as it is on IRIX.