[CentOS] cross-platform email client

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Apr 15 19:39:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:30:10PM -0500, Jeff wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> > I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> > something else. For whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me - every
> > once in a while it becomes non-responsive (UI completely frozen for
> > several seconds, CPU usage goes to 100%) and I just can't afford to
> > waste time waiting for the email software to start working again.

> By default Thunderbird creates a local cache for IMAP accounts -- for
> large accounts, this can be problematic. Have you tried disabling the
> local synchronization?
>
> Account Settings -> Synch & Storage -> Uncheck "Keep messages for this
> account on this computer"

There is another setting that can apparently cause high CPU usage.
Preferences>Advanced>General>Advanced Configuration>Enable Global Search
and Indexer (don't have Thunderbird handy, so that path might be
slightly off.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: I can't believe you got into Oxford!
Willow: It's pretty exciting.
Oz: That's some deep academia there.
Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
Willow: I know! I can learn, and have scones!