[CentOS] Convert Filesystem to Ext4

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:55:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 4/19/2011 11:16 AM Scott Silva spake the following:
>> on 4/19/2011 10:42 AM Matt spake the following:
>>> On a running 64 bit CentOS 5.6 box is it possible to convert from Ext3
>>> to Ext4 to improve performance?  Right now I can deal with a few hours
>>> of downtime on it.  This is an email server with lots of I/O due to
>>> seek time.  Software RAID1 as well.  Will Ext4 offer much of an
>>> improvement?
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/96/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/ch03s02.html
> I know it is for RH 6, but probably sound advice.

I converted my file server to ext4. The conversion went smoothly, but
I highly recommend making a backup. You need to first turn on the ext4
features then run fsck to finish the process. The conversion takes as
long as a fsck takes on ext3.

tune4fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/
e4fsck -yfDC0 /dev/

Ryan