[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 21:05:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so they don't _quite_ understand (or word) that correctly - the
> slowness didn't go all the way back to 5.0, but the point stands.

Unless I'm mistaken there has *always* been a delay in certain patches
when the CentOS team is rebuilding the point updates. Again, unless I
misunderstand, many of the updates for 5.6 (for example) apply to the
packages in the 5.6 updates (not the packages in 5.5). So you would,
in effect, be updating files on CentOS that don't yet exist in CentOS.
I did notice a few updates before 5.6 came out. I would assume these
were critical security updates.

I always notice that, once a point update comes out, many patches
follow shortly after. I'm sure it would be possible to use a "rolling
update" system, but this is never how the CentOS rebuild process has
been done. (At least this is my understanding.)

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6