[CentOS] Still a kvm problem after 5.6 upgrade

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 21 12:19:13 UTC 2011

On 04/21/2011 06:11 AM, David McGuffey wrote:
> After the upgrade, my VMs stopped loading. Found others with the problem
> and followed the guidance to use virsh to dump the xml file of the VM,
> undefine the VM, edit the xml file to change 'raw' to 'qcow2', redefine
> the VM from the edited xml, and restart the machine.  I still get the
> following error when I try to start the VM:
>
> redlibvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
> output: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/hda

You should not need to do anything in virsh to dump a file ... there
should be an xml file in /etc/libvirt/qemu/ for every VM already.  In
that file, you need to go to the "<disk type='file' device='disk'>"
section and look for a line that says:

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>

and change it to

<driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='none'/>

(the cache might be different, but you can leave it alone)

The key is to change the type=raw to type=qcow2