[CentOS] KVM virt-install on disk image - "no space"

Jussi Hirvi

listmember at greenspot.fi
Thu Apr 21 14:40:34 UTC 2011

I guess I need the list again.

I try to install my first KVM guest. Here is what I do, and finally,
what I stumble on.

First I created a qcow2 img:

# qemu-img create -f qcow2 /var/lib/libvirt/images/test1.img 15G

And I created a network bridge (not essential here)

To get a text-based install, I followed this how-to:

http://sysadminman.net/blog/2011/kvm-virtualization-text-centos-guest-install-2098

My install command was:

virt-install \
--name test1 \
--os-variant=rhel5.4 \
--ram 512 \
--vcpus=1 \
--accelerate \
--nographics \
-v \
--location=/mnt/centos56/ \
--network bridge:br0 \
--disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/test1.img,size=15 \
--extra-args="console=ttyS0";

I tried this also without the "size" argument for "disk"

Now, the install begins ok. I do a http install from a nearby mirror.

BUT when it is time to do partitions, I get

>   Which drive(s) do you want to use for this installation?        |
>    |                  [*]    vda        0 MB (Unknown) ^                   |

And if I now try to create partitions, I get "no space" error.

What is going on??

Cheers to CentOS!
- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Suvilahdenkatu 1 B 78 * 00500 Helsinki * Finland