[CentOS] User accounts management for small office

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Thu Apr 21 20:16:42 UTC 2011

>> Linux user account, and also manually change the Samba user account.
>> Manually updating the password in three different locations is a minor
>> headache that I would like to correct.  I have been researching and
> <snip>
> You *could* do it with openldap, with the WinDoze boxen authenticating
> through that. Now, I'll warn you that though it may have improved, a few
> years ago, openldap was a nightmare to configure, the documentation
> dreadull where it wasn't almost useless, and googling involved a *lot* of
> searching.

You may additionally have a look at smbldap-tools (available in the
EPEL repository).

I had good experience with OS users authenticated by OpenLDAP on a
Linux only network.
It is not so hard to configure with authconfig.
At the time I had a quick look at Samba integration and smbldap-tools
seemed the way to go.

By the way, authconfig seems to also have options for smb / winbind:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-authconfig-command-line.html
I never tried those though.