[CentOS] Still a kvm problem after 5.6 upgrade

David McGuffey davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Fri Apr 22 10:50:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 06:18 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 04/21/2011 09:47 PM, David McGuffey wrote:

> >> Problem may be an SELinux problem.  Here is the alert. Notice the
> >> reference to '/dev/hda' (which is the virtual machine boot disk), and
> >> the SELinux context 'virt_content_t'

> >> SELinux is preventing pam_console_app (pam_console_t) "getattr"
> >> to /dev/hda
> >> (virt_content_t).

> >> Detailed Description:
> >>
> >> SELinux denied access requested by pam_console_app. It is not expected
> >> that this
> >> access is required by pam_console_app and this access may signal an
> >> intrusion
> >> attempt. It is also possible that the specific version or configuration
> >> of the
> >> application is causing it to require additional access.

> > Yep...each time I try to start the VM, sealert increments this error by
> > one.
> >
> > I created /.autorelable and rebooted.  SELinux relabeled everything, but
> > the sealert still fires when I try to start the VM.
> >
> > I did a qemu-img <path_to_vm>/vm.img and the format is declared 'raw'
> > Therefore I should not be editing the vm.xml file and changing 'raw' to
> > 'qcow2'
> >
> > Problem is definately with the SELlnux labels in the 5.6 upgrade.
> >
> > Dave M

> This is an SELinux issue.  It really has no effect on the virtual
> machine.  The problem is the label is not something pam_console policy
> expected to have on a blk device.

Yes, I was lured by the coincidence of the sealert and my effort to
start the VM.  The fact that the blk device in question happens to
register as /dev/hda and the VM also uses an internal "virtual" device
called /dev/hda can lead one astray.

I'm still left without an answer as to why virsh won't create or
define-->start a VM after the upgrade.

[root at desk dev]# cd /etc/libvirt/qemu

[root at desk qemu]# virsh create Win7-base.xml
error: Failed to create domain from Win7-base.xml
error: internal error Process exited while reading console log output:
qemu: could not open disk image /dev/hda

using qemu-img against the image file reports 'raw' not 'qcow2'  So...I
should not have to edit the .xml file...it is already correct.

[root at desk images]# qemu-img info Win7-base.img
image: Win7-base.img
file format: raw
virtual size: 29G (31457280000 bytes)
disk size: 29G

This is not good.  I've been developing a prototype which uses several
VMs under qemu-kvm. I'm now starting to question whether CentOS is the
right tool to be using for prototyping capability that may eventually
roll onto regular RHEL.

Dave M