[CentOS] Attaching LinkSys WRT54GL to CentOS machine

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Apr 25 20:04:42 UTC 2011

Anthony wrote:

> what you need do is connect the Linksys to the same switch
> as the one which hosts your eth1 and ADSL modem.  Go to the
> configuration pages on the Linksys, change the IP and subnet, then when
> you commit and reboot, disconnect the ethernet cable from that switch
> and onto the switch your LAN is connected to.  Then on your browser,
> reconnect to the new IP and continue to configure whatever else you need.

I tried that, with several variations, and none of them seemed to work.
I'm wondering if it is possible with the default operating system
on the LinkSys54GL, as I see most people who have done something like
what I am trying to do have installed dd-wrt on the router.

In any case, I've given up for the time being;
I'm only here (in Italy) for 10 days,
and have spent 3 of them getting on the internet!
The Telecomitalia modem I was given never worked
for more than 10 minutes, then it had to be switched off and on again.
(Telecomitalia seems to drive a significant part of the population
into homicidal rage.)
The Billion modem (or modem/router) I brought with me
works perfectly.