[CentOS] CentOS 5.6 x86_64 hosting unreachable Virtualbox 4.0.6 bridged guests

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Tue Apr 26 13:15:08 UTC 2011

Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a box running CentOS 5.6 x86_64 and Virtualbox 4.0.6, I have
> configured 2 guests (WinXP x86 + CentOS 5.6 x86_64) in bridged mode.
> The hosting box and the two guests are dhcp enabled. The hosting box
> get its address normally, but the 2 hosted systems fail to get theirs.
> The dhcp server log tells : DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx via
> em0: network xx.xx/16: no free leases.
> When changing from dhcp to static ip in the CentOS guest, 'service
> network restart' does not report any errors, but the guest keeps
> unreachable from the outside : pinging the guest works some times, but
> trying to reach the guest with ssh, http, or ftp always fail, with or
> whitout iptables enabled on the host and/or the guests.
>
> Please note that:
> - Kernel and softwares on the hosting CentOS are up-to-date, the box
> has an Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
> NIC, does not have an Intel VT compliant CPU (Pentium E5700), but
> VT/AMD-V enabled in bios.
> - The host is not configured in bridged mode (does not have a br
> interface configured), Oracle telling that bridged mode on the host is
> not required to run Virtualbox guests in bridged mode.
> - The 2 guests work perfectly in NAT mode, but this mode is not an
> option for me.
> - The same 2 guests work perfectly in bridged mode on another same
> hosting box running Fedora 14.
>
> Is anyone experimenting the same difficulties with Virtualbox on CentOS
> 5.6 ? I don't know where to search to solve this problem.
> Thanks for your help !

I am running Virtualbox 3.1.2 in bridged mode with WinXP guest OS but
use a fixed IP address as its in my home network, hardwired, and I want
my DNS to be complete with forward and reverse lookups for my CentOS
workstation host as well as my WinXP guest. I only use DHCP for my
wireless clients (hard allocate IP and hostname based upon ethernet
address) and true guests to my network. The bridged method works fine -
no bridge on host just normal ethernet - bridged on Virtualbox. As it
works I have not moved up to version 4 as yet - probably will when
CentOS 6 gets released and I build a new workstation. There are just a
few pesky apps that insist on using windows / IE and have no viable open
source alternatives that keep me using a WinXP guest.