[CentOS] Curious fdisk report on large disk

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Apr 26 23:56:22 UTC 2011

James Pearson wrote:

>>>Could it be that the partition table has become corrupt (e.g.
>>>overwritten)?
>>
>> But everything seems to be working perfectly;
>> is that possible if the partition table is corrupt?
>
> Yes - the partition table may have been fine when the various file
> systems were mounted - which could be why all looks OK now. However, if
> you were to reboot, you may have problems ...
>
> Make sure you have backups before doing any changes to the partition
> table.

Yes, I think I backup everything important every night, with BackupPC.

What is strange is that I don't recall any episode
that might have corrupted the partition table.
I run smartd on this machine;
and according to "sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb"
everything seems fine with this drive, no errors reported.
(I'm a bit wary of running "smartctl -t" as I'm not in the same country
as the machine at the moment.)