[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:57:49 UTC 2011

On 4/28/11, Jussi Hirvi <listmember at greenspot.fi> wrote:
> For me creating the images does not take any noticeable time. Only when
> the installer formats the "disk" to ext3 (or others), it will take some
> time. Probably your syntax does not work. Try the syntax in my example, like
>
> --disk path=/kvmail/mail.img,size=290 \
>
> (making sure that the image does not exist beforehand).

Thanks for pointing out that it really is abnormal because it takes
about 2 hours for virt-install to create a 190G disk for me. I'll try
this on my next attempt.

> You are probably reading some outdated howtos. No wonder, because where
> are the up-to-date howtos?? Red Hat Virtualization Guide is a nice book,
> but only an overview - it does not go into the gritty details.

That's generally the issue, I've tried to use mostly information from
the newer pages/articles but still, most of them skip important
caveats/notes like the fact while specifying the ISO is good enough
for the GUI, it doesn't work with the CLI.

> I just got the double slash too on one installation try. I believe the
> double slash is an error of the error messaging. :-) If so, it only
> shows the level of "sophistication" of virt-install.

Damn!

> So it should. But that only "sanitizes" the error message, and
> erroneously (producing a double slash). :-)

But in any case, since I tried all kinds of variations on host IP and
directory, including stupidities like Centos56/images/ just in case.
So this doesn't seem to be the problem.

> If this is problem in Anaconda or virt-install, I am not sure.

Should be an anaconda issue I think since this is entirely within the
virtualized environment already?