[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:46:28 UTC 2011

On 4/28/11, Gleb Natapov <gleb at redhat.com> wrote:
> So why don't you use virt-manager?

The original intention was to run the host without any graphical
desktop or anything not necessary to host the guests. That was based
on reading and such which recommends not having anything beyond the
necessary to minimize potential security problems and maximize
resources available.

Then there were those pages which warn that virt-manager didn't work
too well if bridged networking was required.

Last but not least, when I finally gave up and installed the desktop,
virt-manager couldn't find the hypervisor. Checking up, it appears
that the user needed additional permissions to certain files, which
after given and tested via CLI, I still get errors.

Starting up X as root gave me this ominous warning that I really
shouldn't be doing this and since I didn't think it was wise in the
first place to have the desktop with root access running on what's
supposed to be a production machine, I stopped trying that route and
went back to figuring how to get virt-install to work.