[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:11:00 UTC 2011

On 4/28/2011 11:02 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

>> If you have a graphical linux workstation on the same network (x can be
>> slow across a WAN, so I would only do it locally), you can just do this
>> from the workstation with X running:
>>
>> ssh -XY -l root<server_name>
>>
>> then from the server do this:
>>
>> virt-manager
>>
>> This will run just the application "virt-manager" on the server and push
>> the video display back to your machine.
>>
>> You may need to run this on the workstation before you ssh to the server
>> machine:
>>
>> xhost +
>
> Thanks a lot for this tip, it'll probably come in very useful for me
> since it sounds a lot easier/efficient than having VNC (freenx never
> worked for me) on every CentOS machine in my office. Although maybe
> not in this particular case since my usual access to this particular
> server is through WAN.

Freenx is worth taking the time to solve whatever problem you had with
it.  It should 'just work' from a yum install as long as you install the
/etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key into your NX client and have the default
ssh access.  You don't need to install it on every machine, just one
that you use as your management desktop using the approach above to open
windows for GUI programs from nearby machines.  You can run the NX
client->freenx connection over a WAN and get much better performance
than you will with ssh-forwarded windows direct to your remote location
- plus you can disconnect the NX session and pick it up elsewhere with
all your windows still open and programs still running.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com