[CentOS] ETA

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 28 18:34:06 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 01:18 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
>> workload.
>>
>> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
>> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>>
>> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.
>
> I am not so sure about that.  If you need the machine up today, install
> 5.6 on it -- you can always upgrade later.  If you want bleeding edge
> software install Fedora Core 14.  Otherwise sit tight.  Hassling the
> developers is not going to make CentOS 6 show up any sooner.
>
> I know that if I needed a server up this week or next week, I'd go ahead
> and install CentOS 5.6.  (And I would have installed CentOS 5.5 back
> before CentOS 5.6 was released.)

CentOS-5.x has an EOL data of March 31, 2014.  I deploy new 5.x servers
all the time.

3 years is half of the useful lifetime of the distribution.

But, if people have to make a decision and deploy within the new 2
weeks, then I would not be waiting for 6.0 to be released during that time.

We might have a tree with installable net images by then.