[CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:05:34 UTC 2011

On 4/29/2011 10:57 AM, Todd Cary wrote:

>> First, why would you disable key authentication?  Or is it just failing
>> because you don't have the right key?
> When I read the wiki (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX), it states
>
> Note: If you have disallowed ssh password authentication (which is
> advised but not mandatory), you need to follow the instructions here.
> Otherwise you can skip this section.
>
> I checked the ssh configuration file and ssh password authentication is
> enabled. My Centos 5.5 is an Out of the Box installation, so this
> setting was not done by me - at least not directly. So my thinking
> was/is that I could just skip the rest of that part of the setup.
>
> Confused....

Enabling password authentication (the default) does not disable key
authentication (also enabled by default).  The client offers the key if
it has one.  If it doesn't, or if the the key fails, a later step
prompts for a password.

A quick check for basic key authentication would be to cd to
/etc/nxserver and:
ssh -i client.id_dsa.key nx at localhost
You'll get the usual host key warning the first time but after
responding 'yes' you should get a 'HELLO NXSERVER' prompt.  Type 'exit'
to disconnect.  If that works, the NX client should too once the key is
installed correctly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com