[CentOS] interview request for ppl who have Shockwave/.Firefox working

Mon Apr 4 12:53:49 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 04/03/2011 09:24 PM Robert Heller wrote:

>> For a long time now I've wanted to be able to watch videos.  I've done
>> the "try this!" and "try that!" method and it hasn't worked well.  So
>> I'm wondering if anyone running CentOS 5.5 has Shockwave on Firefox working.
>>
>> Currently it works for me with short videos-- up to two or three minutes
>> long.  However, when Shockwave is enabled, CPU usage jumps to 99%,
>> sometimes even 100%!  If I disable it CPU usage goes down to 1 - 5%.
>> (For those who speak load avg, I've seen highs of 6 and 8... as opposed
>> to the no Shockwave-now of 0.14 to 0.45.)
>>
>> So with the CPU already buried just by having Shockwave is enabled, if a
>> video lasts longer than four minutes, gaps in the video's continuity
>> begin to appear, and by ten minutes in the video is locked up altogether.
>>
>> What's everyone else's experience with this?  Does anyone have a setup
>> where they can view a 1.5-hour video normally... and maybe even work in
>> their editor alongside it at the same time?  If so, would you be open to
>> explaining what hardware and software etc. you've got so that this works
>> so well?
>
> I am able to watch 1/2 hour TV shows with
> flash-plugin-10.2.152.27-release from Adobe's repo in Firefox
> (firefox-3.6.13-2.el5.centos), on my i686 IBM ThinkPad X31 laptop
> (which has 512Meg of memory and a 1700MHz, Pentium M processor), using
> CentOS 5.5.  The CPU does get hot (the fan fires up sometimes). Oh, I
> use a *very* lightweight X11 setup: I don't use GNome or KDE or any
> sort of 'Desktop Manager' system at all. Just FVWM in MWM mode.
> Virtually NO 'eye candy' at all.  My system boots to runlevel 3 and
> I fire up X11 from my login.
>
> I have made no attempt to watch longer videos with flash.  I do watch
> 3-5 minute music videos all the time, but I use mplayer for those (even
> the FLV files I have downloaded from YouTube).

Robert, you bring up a good point about X.  But two things:  First, my
Dell i600m has the same CPU as your machine, except that mine is a
1500MHz, a tad slower, but I have 2G of RAM and so swap is almost never
even touched.  Still, since it's my CPU which is getting jammed up by
Flash|Shockwave, perhaps measures to ease the load on the CPU generally
would be a good strategy.

Secondly, still, as said previously, when Shockwave isn't playing a
video (but with gnome and everything else running as usual), my CPU's
load avg is trivial, giving me no reason to suspect gnome or anything
else I'm running is a hog worth trimming.  All indications point to
Shockwave itself as being the problem.

NB: While writing this, yum-updated just gave me
flash-plugin-10.2.153.1-0.1.el5.rf.i386.rpm.  So I've upgraded from
flash-plugin-10.2.153.1-release.src.rpm...  hopefully it's the fix I need.

Robert, thanks for the response.