[CentOS] Tips for motherboard with multiple PCI / PCI-e slots

Mon Apr 4 14:23:16 UTC 2011
Cal Sawyer <Cal.Sawyer at artsalliancemedia.com>

Re quad-port NICs: AOC-SG-i4 is good, too, and smaller than the UG version. iirc, it uses a newer Intel chipset as well. Oddly, it isn't listed on Supermicro's site except as a PDF factsheet.  I have a few of them and they work well.  There's also the Intel EXPI9404PTL, but here in the UK it's a fair chunk more expensive than the SM card.

cheers,

- csawyer

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Brunner, Brian T.
Sent: 04 April 2011 14:12
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Tips for motherboard with multiple PCI / PCI-e slots

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to fit at least three NICs and I was looking for
> motherboard models that contain 3 or 4 CPI (or PCI-e) slots and works
> with CentOS.

You can get 4 etherports on one card...
For 17 examples:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010064%20
600013873&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
How many of those work well with Linux (of whatever variety) I don't
know.  One board claiming RedHat compatibility with a loadable kernel
module is
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-UG-I4.cfm

Another article that might give fast, cheap, albeit old answers is
http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/hardware/quartet.html

Why do you need 3 network interface cards?  Would two NICs with 2
etherports each, or 1 4-port card meet your need?

> I had a problem in the past with some models that had a bug
> and did not work well with linux (ok with windows) so that's
> way I am asking this here.

Are you building a desktop/personal machine, or a server?
Are you picky about power/heat/noise factors of the Mobo?

Sorry about your 5 options being narrowed down to 30, but the question
asked was really imprecise.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me