[CentOS] sshd: Authentication Failures: 137 Time(s)

Mon Apr 4 15:00:23 UTC 2011
Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz>

Guys,
really... look at denyhosts and Hawk.

Both projects analyze the logs of the service and check for failed login
attempts.

It is useless to battle the bruteforcers at the network level since they can
adapt their behaviour to really easy surcomvent any firewalls.

In order to protect your applications you should build on them. Every daemon
now has a decent log capabilities. And you can simply tail the log constantly
and detect which IPs should be blocked. And then block them promptly.

It is hard to find someone that will enter the wrong password more then 10
times :)

I don't know for denyhosts, but Hawk removes the blocks every day and you can
configure how long you want to keep a single IP blocked. This way you have
better control over the automated block/unblock procedure.

If you need more information about Hawk, contact me.

Marian