[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Mon Apr 4 23:22:43 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> OK guys. Why don't you fork the CentOS project and build your own???
>>
>> Why don't ANYBODY fork CentOS project? What are you/they waiting for?
>> Whining is easy, build something on your own.
>
> Too strongly stated.  I am aware of at least two private
> rebuild efforts that I have advised over the rough spots in
> the last 4 months.  But those efforts have not sought to
> replicate CentOS, but rather to 'scratch an itch' with a
> different goal than CentOS goals of replicating a rebuild of
> the upstream sources, with needed trademark and branding
> alterations, seeking binary identical-ness with all that the
> upstream ships insofar as possible
>
> But re-producing CentOS through a fork is just not sensible,
> because CentOS is not just a pile of packages meeting some
> standard [it is also hard work to no obvious new good purpose]
>
> CentOS is also the mirror network; it is the mailing lists; it
> is the builders being willing to ignore the temptation to
> release a 'rough draft' at the expense of breaking the
> reputation (justified by past releases) to quiet perhaps ten
> people whining for something, anything, at the expense of
> potentially harming millions of installations
>
> There is a playpen for people who want the latest and greatest
> with a six month release cycle that use the RPM packaging
> system and the yum updater. But it not named CentOS
>
> -- Russ herrold

Russ,

Appreciate your efforts, but let's make one thing clear:

The SINGLE source of ALL the current community issues (or "whining" as
you put it) is:
    ***LACK OF INFORMATION***
    ***LACK OF INFORMATION***
    ***LACK OF INFORMATION***
about what is going on.

No one cares if it's going to take another 3 months.

All that is needed to stop the weekly explosions are some regular
updates about the process.  Something like "Working on xyz package but
ran into this problem.  Still have to look at packages abc and def"
would more than satisfy a vast majority of people complaining here.
It's mind boggling that the project just doesn't seem to understand
that.

// Brian Mathis