[CentOS] 32-bit kernel+XFS+16.xTB filesystem = potential disaster

Wed Apr 6 18:31:35 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 04/06/11 11:08 AM, Warren Young wrote:
> I already ran the two-server idea past the decision makers.  It was
> rejected, even though this server I just built is going to replace an
> existing one purely to add the extra storage, and so it could have just
> acted as a storage side-car to the existing server instead.  I don't
> know whether it was rejected on rack space limits or "cleanliness" or
> whatever.  All I got was, "no".

then the decision making process is faulty.    32bit kernels are in no
way capable of sanely supporting giant file systems like you have.   so
you're 'musts' are ...   1) legacy application requires 32 bit kernel
drivers  2) giant file system which requires 64 bit kernel.    that
won't be easy to resolve without a separate storage server or NAS.