[CentOS] 32-bit kernel+XFS+16.xTB filesystem = potential disaster

Wed Apr 6 20:05:00 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, April 06, 2011 01:27:10 PM Warren Young wrote:
> Legacy is hard.  Next time someone tells you they can't use the latest
> and greatest for some reason, you might take them at their word.

Yes, it is.

To give another for instance, we do work with some interfaces for telescopes (optical and radio) where for insurance and assurance reasons, and the fact that a PE's seal is on the prints, a tested, tried, and proven ISA interface card is a requirement.

Ever try to find a Pentium 4 or better motherboard with ISA slots?

It's easy to say 'just go PCI' but that's not as easy as it sounds.  In fact, for power supplies for the PC's into which this ISA card (which is a custom A/D, D/A, encoder input, counter, and DIO card rolled into one) I have to be careful to pick ones that have enough -5V current capability.  Yes, negative 5 volts.  That's only used by ISA cards, right?  Well.....

Do you know how many ATX12V power supplies don't even *have* a -5V output?  Most of them, it seems.