[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Thu Apr 7 07:15:59 UTC 2011
David Sommerseth <dazo at users.sourceforge.net>

On 05/04/11 01:29, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Brian Mathis
> <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com> wrote:

>>> Too strongly stated.  I am aware of at least two private
>>> rebuild efforts that I have advised over the rough spots in
>>> the last 4 months.  But those efforts have not sought to
>>> replicate CentOS, but rather to 'scratch an itch' with a
>>> different goal than CentOS goals of replicating a rebuild of
>>> the upstream sources, with needed trademark and branding
>>> alterations, seeking binary identical-ness with all that the
>>> upstream ships insofar as possible
>>>
>>> But re-producing CentOS through a fork is just not sensible,
>>> because CentOS is not just a pile of packages meeting some
>>> standard [it is also hard work to no obvious new good purpose]
>>>
>>> CentOS is also the mirror network; it is the mailing lists; it
>>> is the builders being willing to ignore the temptation to
>>> release a 'rough draft' at the expense of breaking the
>>> reputation (justified by past releases) to quiet perhaps ten
>>> people whining for something, anything, at the expense of
>>> potentially harming millions of installations
>>>
>>> There is a playpen for people who want the latest and greatest
>>> with a six month release cycle that use the RPM packaging
>>> system and the yum updater. But it not named CentOS
>>>
>>> -- Russ herrold
>>

>> Russ,
>>
>> Appreciate your efforts, but let's make one thing clear:
>>
>> The SINGLE source of ALL the current community issues (or "whining" as
>> you put it) is:
>>    ***LACK OF INFORMATION***
>>    ***LACK OF INFORMATION***
>>    ***LACK OF INFORMATION***
>> about what is going on.
>>
>> No one cares if it's going to take another 3 months.
>>
>> All that is needed to stop the weekly explosions are some regular
>> updates about the process.  Something like "Working on xyz package but
>> ran into this problem.  Still have to look at packages abc and def"
>> would more than satisfy a vast majority of people complaining here.
>> It's mind boggling that the project just doesn't seem to understand
>> that.
>>

> and prolong development even further..........

Wow!  I didn't know the hard core CentOS supporters was so sensitive to
delays that they would complain about developers spending 30 minutes every
now and then to write a status update.  Their time must be precious ...

What happened to the "It comes when it comes" mantra?

kind regards,

David Sommerseth