[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Thu Apr 7 21:26:22 UTC 2011
Ian Murray <murrayie at yahoo.co.uk>

> Actually I just finished an  email to Connie and Troy over at
> SL, sharing some detail on project  management with them
>
> They are each friends, and it does not cause me a  moment's
> pain or raised blood pressure when SL is mentioned or when
> someone 'threatens' to use their project's approach
>
> [I suppose I  should be concerned for them 'receiving' a
> whiner, and worry for THEIR blood  pressure ;) ]

There are a number of differences why I don't think that will happen.

1. They appear to always be polite and helpful even if the question was easily
google-able.

2. They don't advertise their distribution is "enterprise grade"

3. They don't suggest it is community based yet tell people to take a hike when
they hear something they don't like.

3. They have recently expanded their team to four. Not sure of the reason behind
it, but I would like to think that they responded to the changing demands of
their distribution. Good to see they can recognise any weakness and try to
rectify it; to invest in other people to lesson the individual burden and lower
the overall risk, if that is the reasoning.

4. Their motivations appear to be more transparent, i.e. I wouldn't say they are
in it for the glory or to be superheros. Not saying anybody.

You might want to modify the CentOS front page, because there are some
statements that are stretching the truth in my opinion. Namely:-

< CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources......>

Subjective, but not Enterprise-class in my opinion as the security patching is
too unpredictable. Not a criticism, just a suggested reframing of the project.
< CentOS is developed by a small but growing team of core developers.....>

Growing, is it?

< CentOS has numerous advantages over some of the other clone projects
including:   developers who are contactable and responsive...>

Er, no. Sorry. I don't think anybody could agree that statement to be true these
days.

I told you all before.... just get rid of the above mis-information and rename
the project to RJK Linux and all will be well with the world!

Just my opinion.