[CentOS] how to install CentOS 5.6 i386 from livecd? Really dumb question I know :-)

Sun Apr 10 11:13:55 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

> how to install CentOS 5.6 i386 from livecd? Really dumb question I know
> :-)
>
> Hmm I know iI've done this in earlier releases on CentOS...

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a facility
to install the LiveCD itself, as there is with Fedora, for example.

There used to be a facility (with CentOS-5.5 LiveCD)
to start a network installation,
by pressing SPACE while booting the LiveCD.

However, this has now been removed, apparently because
it might encourage people to install from remote sites,
which is said to be likely to fail.

In my experience it was safe and easy to install from the CentOS DVD ISO
on a local machine, with NFS.
So I for one consider the change to be a backward step.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net