[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Sun Apr 10 12:36:09 UTC 2011
Ian Murray <murrayie at yahoo.co.uk>

> The  goal of the centos project is to produce an RPM that is exactly like
> the  upstream RPM in every way that is legally possible.
>
> The checks we do look  at libraries that binaries link to, size of the
> packages and a list of the  files the RPM installs.
>
> We would like for all RPMS to be 100%, some (like  the example above) are
> not able to be linked against the same  environment.
>
> Upstream sometimes uses non released gcc's for compiling or  they
> sometimes build with non-released kernels or non released glibc's  etc.
> In those cases, we will do the best we can.
>
> We do check these  issues as part of the QA process and we do address
> each one that we  can.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you go to significant lengths.

Imagine if you were to take any GPL source code for which you don't own
copyright and modify it such that that it would only be compile-able using your
highly modified secret compiler. If you then distributed the executable and the
useless source without the secret compiler, are we suggesting that is allowable
under the GPL? A bit of googling suggests it is. :(

While this is an extreme example, it kinda sounds like what you suggest RH do.