[CentOS] How to verify all dependencies are being met

Sun Apr 10 22:33:56 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Stephen Harris wrote:
> I've taken over a CentOS machine.  The previous SA had a habit of using
> the --nodeps flag to rpm to remove packages (he was trying to build a
> small server and removed packages he felt weren't needed).  I have a
> horrible feeling that this has resulted in some required dependencies
> no longer being met.  The server kinda-works, but it may break in
> unexpected ways;  I don't like being surprised!
>
> Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing?  I'd hoped
> to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed packages,
> but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package names.
>
> Any guidance appreciated!
>
> Thanks,

Try something like this:

yum reinstall $(yum list installed | awk '{print $1}')

It should force reinstall and ask for dependencies in the process, but I
do not have any broken system to try if it works.

Ljubomir