[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Tue Apr 12 13:47:40 UTC 2011
Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz>

On Tuesday 12 April 2011 16:20:22 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:
> >> I'm managing machines with 30TB of storage for more then two years. And
> >> with good reporting and reaction we have never had to run fsck.
> >>
> >> However I'm sure that if you have to run fsck on so big file systems, it
> >> will be fater to rebuild the array from other storage then waiting for
>
> a few
>
> >> weeks to finish.
>
> <snip>
> Here's a question: which would be faster on that huge a filesystem: fsck,
> or having a second 30TB filesystem, and rsyncing everything over?

For us, it was faster to transfer the information again. At least this was
during the tests. We have never had to do it for real.

I guess the time for the fsck depends on the amount of errors that you have.
If it has to check only the jurnal the fsck will not take long. But i it has
to do a full check of the FS... an rsync may be faster.

Marian