[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Tue Apr 12 16:21:54 UTC 2011
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 06:00:57PM +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:

> Can someone(who actually knows) share with us, what is the state of xfs-utils,
> how stable and usable are they for recovery of broken XFS filesystems?

I have done an XFS repair once or twice on a real filesystem (~4TB) in a
64bit kernel.  It worked fine, but I don't think the filesystem was too
badly thrashed.

As another poster noted, be ready to throw memory or swap at the XFS
check and repair tools.  (I read that it's slightly better memory-wise
to run xfs_repair -n than xfs_check, but I believe that's mainly for
32bit systems, and that may have been fixed anyway.)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us