[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Tue Apr 12 22:14:18 UTC 2011
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

On Apr 12, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Keith Keller wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 02:01:42PM -0700, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> The cheapies are so called green as they spin down often which is not
>> what you want in a RAID setup.
>
> The WD RE4-GP is a so-called ''green'' disk that's suitable for RAID
> arrays.  It's marketed and priced as an enterprise drive.

Well, it may either be BS marketing or is so called green for a diff
reason and not the freq spin downs.

I'm finding green can mean many things from the fact that there
product packaging is made from recycled material to there
manufacturing plant no longer uses mercury to there power consumption
is lower then previous models, etc...

I would say that the $100 price tag would be a caution but then again
one doesn't always get what one pays for.

Either way, it makes our jobs more challenging for sure.

- aurf