[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Wed Apr 13 07:01:16 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 4/12/11, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
> > But, our RAID10 is setup as a stripe of mirrors, i.e. sda1 & sdb1 -> md0,
> > sdc1 + sdd1 ->md1, then sde1 + sdf1 ->md2, and finally md0 + md1 + md2
> are
> > stripped. The advantage of this is that we can add more disks to the
> whole
> > RAID set with no downtime
>
> Off-topic, but when you say add more disks, do you mean for the
> purpose of replacing failing disks or for expanding the array? I'm
> curious because on initial reading I read it to mean expanding the
> storage capacity of the array but thought it was currently not
> possible to expand a mdadm RAID 0 non-destructively.
>
> to expand the array :)

I haven't had problems doing it this way yet.

The other way is to run LVM on top of the three md's, i.e pvcreate volume01
/dev/md0 /dev/md1 /dev/md2 etc. LVM expands very easily with no downtime
either.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers