[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Wed Apr 13 13:41:19 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday, April 12, 2011 06:49:08 PM Drew wrote:
> > Where can I get an enterprise-class 2TB drive for $100?  Commodity SATA isn't enterprise-class.

> I can get Seagate's Constellation ES series SATA drives in 1TB for
> $125. 2TB will run me around $225.

Yeah, those are reasonable near-line drives for archival storage, or when you have a very small number of servers accessing the storage, and large amounts of cache.

EMC used Barracuda ES SATA drives in their Clariion CX3 boxes for a while; used a dual attach 4G FC bridge controller to go from the DAE backplane to the SATA port, and emulated the dual attach functionality of FC with it.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think the SATA drive itself got EMC-specific firmware.